This is an on-going list based on my observations on how a particular therapist is helping one of my loved ones along her journey of recovery from schizophrenia. The key message seems to be to get schizophrenics to take control of their lives in a responsible manner:
- Get them to accept their diagnosis; recognise there’s a problem and a valid reason why they’ve been warded, etc.
- Educate them on schizophrenia (although this will have to be done by someone they really trust)
- Educate them on the medication given to them; get patients to jot down their own ‘medication history’, side-effects, etc.
- Get them to exercise; this helps with adjusting/navigating the medicine. A good time is in the late evening, so sleep can come easy (and sleeping pills can be dropped)
- Guide them towards a vocation, a strong (God given?) purpose in life
- Admonish them to think in terms of helping or blessing other in a similar position i.e. turn their healing into a source of healing